Friday, July 30, 2010

Sewing Update: Pictures

I finally have pictures!!!


This little guy keeps me company as I work







My beautiful workspace in the dining room



Outside of the stays



Inside of the stays



Close up: I decided to tack down the seams, because if I just leave them as is, when I line the stays, I feel as though they will bunch up. Plus I think it looks better :)



Industrial cables ties for boning. They're cheap and washing machine friendly!!!



Preview of binding and trim. Each seam will be overlaid with this lovely chocolate ribbon. The stays will be bound in brown bias tape.



Lining

     So I do think that my fabric change was a good idea. These stays will breathe better, and I think that in the end, it is a much nicer fabric than the forest "brocade." I still have to bone a few more channels (I ran out of cable ties), sew the lining to the stays, clip the tabs, make the eyelets, add the trim and bind  the edges. So there is still a LOT left for me to do. I have a lot of hand sewing ahead of me. Hooray! I haven't posted pictures of the chemise in order to save space, but I will next time. Until then, I suppose!!!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

WOW I love this!! I wish I were so talented as to create these lovely garments...great job!

Nora Simone said...

Thank you! Your blog is what really solidified my love of all things 18th century so you have played a part!!! This is the first time I've made attempts at anything period, or anything for that matter. I hope to be able to draft my own patterns one day and be able to make myself an eighteenth century wardrobe.