Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Taking the Plunge: Clothing Part I

I've decided that it is high time I started to sew some period garments. I've been surfing the web, staring at patterns and fabrics, and planing for over two years now. I need to just do it. So that's my summer project. As I am new to the whole historic reproduction world (and not at all capable of drafting my own patterns), I'm going to start out with commercial patterns. I think I'm going to begin Simplicity's pattern 3635. Yes, I know it isn't exactly period correct, but that's what alterations are for! So the plan for today is that I'll be going out to my local fabric store and picking up all the necessary odds and ends. I think I'm going to do the stays in a lovely toile patterned home-decor fabric. Any advice from seasoned sewers of period clothes? Wish me luck!

No comments: