Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Progress: Clothing Part II

     After my last post I took a trip to the fabric store and picked up the pattern I had been looking at. It gives instructions for a pair of stays, chemise, pockets and panniers(of sorts). Aside from a few little tweaks here and there, the pattern appears to be historically accurate. I'm not sure about the panniers, though. I've decided that to begin with I'll make only the chemise and stays. For the chemise I bought basic white muslin.
     The stays, however, are going to be where the artistry comes in. I purchased a pretty "damask" in a linen/rayon blend. I wanted silk dupioni or damask in natural fibers but I couldn't find any! A fabric store that carries only synthetics for home-decor fabrics...sheesh. Anyway, the fabric is a really nice deep bottle green. The edges are going to be bound in a light blue. For the interfacing and lining I chose canvas and muslin respectively. That way the parts closest to my body will be of natural fiber so I don't boil. I've tried to go as historically accurate as my budget allowed, though I admit to a few slips in the name of design and keeping funds low. Since this is my first pair of stays, though, I'm more concerned with the result than being a stickler for the rules.
     Boning I think is going to be the hardest part. After some research I've decided that I want to try using cable ties. Its much lighter than steel, sturdier than featherweight, similar in firmness and flexibility to baleen, and relatively inexpensive. I have a while to go before I need them so we'll see if that works out for me. If it doesn't.....well then its time to come up with another idea. Sorry for the long post. I promise to post photos of my fabrics and progress as soon as possible. 

No comments: